Friday, January 13, 2012

Chapter # 5

Chapter five brought some insight into how students think and develop.  I have learned the cognitive domain before, but I have not learned the other two domains before this chapter.  I thought they were interesting and helpful in understanding how the human mind works with emotions and movements as well as the thinking levels of the cognitive domain.  I have always liked the cognitive domain because I think it gives teachers a starting point on what students should be able to do at certain levels.  The important part for teachers, is that they must realize being in the same grade does not always equal being at the same level.  Some students will be at different levels, and teaches need to be able to deal with that.  The levels allow for teachers to plan different activities for different students.  Students that are slightly ahead or behind are able to do different activities.

One other observation I made was the difference between covert and overt objectives.  I think many of us often try to use words like know or understand when defining objectives, but they are not truly definable.  I thought that was an important thing to note as a future teacher.  Objectives must be measurable so teachers and students actually know what they have to do to be successful in a class.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for talking about covert and overt objectives. I have to put my objective or learing target on the board each day and I want it to be meaningful. I have been guilty of writing "know" and "understand" and I have not been pleased with the objectives. Now I know why, it is because they are hard to measure.

    ReplyDelete